Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Baby Ducks




I may have mentioned this before, I can't remember really. But about 4 or 5 weeks ago a female mallard duck started laying her eggs next to our pond..as she does every year. Normally the turtles or coons get them but this year, my father-in-law saved them. Over the next several days we collected 10 eggs all together. He placed them all in a 'still air' foam incubator, purchased at Tractor Supply (my new favorite store..odd I know). Over the next 5 weeks my mother-in-law turned the eggs, faithfully, every 4 hours. (Which I guess the momma duck would have done anyway). We waited patiently for the day to come and as my F-I-L predicted they started hatching today! The first one at 06:35 this morning and the second at 8:47. They called us excitedly at 7:30 this morning to come watch as the second slowly pecked his way around the egg. Did you know that they peck away at the egg shell, in a full circle, until they finally push themselves out? It's pretty neat to watch. Slow yes. The second took a full hour almost to come out. Here's some videos of the first hatching. The second hatching. And more of the second...




When I left for work at 13:00 there was a third working his way out..and a few others slowly pecking their way out. I bet by Thursday we will have all ten! Their new home is being prepared in the garage, safe from predators. The kids love it..its such a neat learning experience.


Only Isabella asked me today why all eggs don't have baby chicks in them. I carefully explained that you have to have a rooster to get baby chicks otherwise you can just go ahead and eat the eggs. Luckily for now the conversation stopped there!

No comments: