Tuesday, April 13, 2010

chICKens!

Everyday we go outside to let the chickens out of their coop and everyday I'm some what amazed at how quickly they grow! The little one in the picture isn't the same type of bird as the rest of them (the larger ones) so they are growing a bit slower. It will be interesting to see what they are..and what color eggs they lay. But, the others are Cornish Rocks, 'broilers' and white egg layers. Supposedly they will be at nearly 5lbs by 8 weeks.

Here's some pictures of the chicks at 5 weeks.



Every morning when we let them out of the coop they
all charge the door. Eager to see what awaits outside.
Eventually they will be 'free range', meaning
they will get to roam the property
not fenced in. We are a bit
nervous about this as we don't want
another animal to find dinner, so even though
they are bigger now, we are waiting a bit longer to let them roam
without us. I also feel a bit protective of them, a bit motherly
if you will...they are almost like pets! I guess in a sense they are pet..we just plan on
eating them at some point :D.


Ellie loves to greet the chicks, she walks right up to them saying
''Hiiii!" ''Hi!" And she's not afraid to try and pick them up
either. She walks right up to them poking their backs
or heads..


This is the one I mentioned above as being my favorite.
I'm questioning it's gender a bit. I think it may be a
rooster..I'm not quite ready to 'sex' the chickens yet. Maybe
there's another way to tell. And these little birds are a lot faster
than the other larger ones. They're hard to catch. Isn't it pretty though?
It's fiesty though..it's funny, people have asked if we can
see their personalities yet..and up till now I've
said no. What a silly question right? But this one
I can see thinks it's boss. He chest buts the large chickens. Runs right
up to them flapping its feathers real fast to gain momentum, and
then throws himself into the big birds. Which in return just stand
there like 'what are you doing??" I find it amusing.
It also runs like a mad man when you enter the coop..I always
yell at it and try to scare it.

No comments: