Saturday, November 21, 2009

Akiane


Akiane is quite an acomplished artist at the young age of 13! By this age she had already been drawing since the age of 4 (the age at which she also brought her family to Christ) and she was a painter by 6. And I'm not talking chicken scratch and scribbles at the age of 4, I'm talking portraits. I'm guessing this is one of her most famous paintings and it's by far one of my favorites, so far, that she's done. It's called "Prince of Peace" She painted that at the age of 8! Just crazy to me. What she self taught herself by this age is extraordinary..maybe that's why she's already made international headlines!
But, it's her message that she wants to get across with each painting that is so special. Her love for Christ and her desire for all to know him is amazing. I thought the story behind this painting was really neat, here it is from her website:
How did you paint the portrait of Jesus?
It was God's timing; I had been looking for a Jesus model for two years, and I could not find the right face. Then one day I asked my family to pray with me all day. We petitioned God to send the model right through our front door. The next day a tall carpenter came in. He was so humble, and I was surprised that he agreed to model for me. But a week later he called back to say that he was unworthy to represent his master.
We all prayed together again, and a few days later he called back to tell us that God wanted him to do it, but he had to cut his hair and beard in three days. So we took a few pictures and I studied his face for a long time. After dozens of sketches, I started painting. It took me 40 hours to finish the first Jesus painting –The Prince of Peace-- and I still remember I lost four teeth in that time!
If you want to read more about her and see more of her work from ages 4-13 you can go HERE.

No comments: