Monday, February 1, 2010

Updates

Sleeping this week has gone well! I took Ellie to see Dr. K on friday night AGAIN about her ears. I was full expecting them to tell me she had an ear infection..it turns out she did not, again. It was simply fluid. I went on to tell her though that she has been tugging on her ears since the end of December and that I had already been in once before at the beginning of January with what I thought then, was an infection, but was only fluid. I said she hasn't slept well in a month, could there be anything else going on possibly?? Only after that did they do a Typanometry, a test to see if she had any fluid in there that they could not see, and infact she did. Dr. K gave us a prescription for C-Phen, a decongestant. And you know what? Since then she has slept in her bed, in her room, mostly alone. Friday and Saturday night one of us had to sleep in there on the floor with her..but she slept and didn't wake up screaming. Then last night, she woke a couple of times, 1 out of habit and the other-her diaper leaked and made a huge mess! Other than that she slept completely alone from 830pm-7am. Such a huge difference!
Tonight I'm taking Isabella to see Dr. K, you'd think they would be tired of seeing me! She's been badly congested for a week and her bad cough hasn't gotten any better. She went to school all last week, not having a fever, or feeling too badly, I figured she better go. This weekend she seemed to have gotten worse though. What I thought was a cold has I think turned into strep throat. The reason I'm thinking this you may ask!? The internet.... After noticing that she was getting worse yesterday I quickly got online and google'd the symptoms of strep.
  • white patches in the throat? YES
  • difficulty swallowing? YES
  • swollen glands?! YES!
  • stomach pain? YES
  • fever? YES, off and on..
  • general discomfort, uneasiness, or just ill feeling? YES
  • loss of appetite or nausea? A little..
  • rash? not that I've noticed

SO I'm really only guessing that's it by process of elimination.. I was thinking on the way to work today how funny it is that as mom's we always try to figure out the symptoms of our children and be the doctor. I'm not always right. Sometimes I'll really be thinking I know for sure what something is and we'll go to the doctors and I'll be wrong. Just like with Ellie twice now..but yes, it was something with her ears. I talk to the girls at work and they all do the same thing..trying to figure out what their kids have. Maybe moms should be able to go thru a basic medical class FOR FREE, just so we can help out the doctors. Oh and I think Amoxicillin should be over the counter! Seems to be what they give them for everything anyway! So anyway, Isabella is thoroughly enjoying being off school for a few days.
What other medical issues do we have going on you might ask? Well funny you mention it, Chris is having his knee scoped tomorrow..seems he injured it many many years ago and should have had it fixed then, but didnt. And it's just gotten worse each time he's used it for anything 'sports' related. He's got a lot of tissue floating around that needs to come out. So we have that to look forward to tomorrow morning. The good thing about scoping is how minor of a surgery it is. They do put you completely under but, have you up and walking on it and doing therapy within 2 days. He's doing therapy on Thursday and Friday already. So hopefully this will be a quick fix and he will be back to normal soon. I've got to think of some good movies to get for him since he may be couch or bed ridden for a few days! If you've got any let me know.
As for me? I'm all good...busy playing doctor mom :). I'm enjoying it though.

No comments: