Friday, January 15, 2010


This past Saturday my mom and I threw a shower for my sister, Sarah.
She's due with her first on February 13th.
The party was centered around an 11am brunch...consisting of
Sausage, Egg and Cheese Casserole, Ambrosia, Cheesy Potatoes, and Baked Brie.
The guests and presents were plentiful.
And to top the party off, a beautiful cake made by no other
than myself! I take a small amount
of pride in making this cake as it was my first
time using and making fondant. But I enjoyed it
immensely. The cake is the main topic of this
post as I will tell you how I did it.

You may be thinking fondant is an incredible pain to make,
only I'll tell you it wasn't. I found a simple recipe online
for MM Fondant. I chose this recipe because I had all the ingredients
at home and I figured making it for the first time if I screw it up
I wouldn't be out any money. All you need for this recipe is
16 oz of marshmellows
2-5T water
2lbs of powdered sugar
1/2 C of shortening.
Melt the marshmellows in a deep dish in 30 second intervals until melted
completely. Next, grease your hands GENEROUSLY and cover your counter
in grease, then dump the marshmellows onto the counter. Little by little
start mixing in the sugar. If it starts sticking to your hands add
more grease. This step takes FOREVER but keep kneading..
knead until it is all mixed together. If the
mixture starts tearing add water 1/2T at a time.
That's it! So easy. To store, just coat it in grease and place in
an airtight container. I put mine in a vacu suck bag and
stored it in the fridge over night.

You can color the fondant and make all sorts of fun things
out of it. Flat things mostly..as it has a lot of grease in it.
For Sarah's cake I made colored polka dots, which takes a lot of
coloring and mixing. Use a round object with semi sharp edge
to make the dots.
When covering the cake make sure you ice it first, I used
Wilton's Buttercream Icing. After covering with
icing, place the fondant on a 'sugared' surface. Meaning,
use powdered sugar instead of flour..so it doesn't stick to the
counter and tastes
better than flour! Then cover your rolling pen with sugar and roll out the fondant,
this process takes time..as the fondant is semi
fragile and very thick. But when you are done you have a beautiful
cake!

1 comment:

Our Little Olive Branches said...

What a lovely shower and she's naming her baby Paxton! I had never heard of a Paxton before and now 2 people I know are naming their boys Paxton! Bless those Paxtons of the world! :)